Popsicle Sticks You Say?

Speech2U.blogspot.com



What a grand link up idea, 3rd Thursday 3 for all from Kelly over at Speech2U.  Did I tell you I am loving these linky parties?  Super happy dance going on!

Here are my "3" ideas for using popsicle sticks in therapy.








Idea #1:
Last year we made our own EET (Expanding Expression Tool) book marks (or bracelets, as adapted by the girls in my groups) out of colored beads on a string, to go along with the fabulous program.  These were grand for working on describing as the EET program outlines, but we also used our "tools" for breaking words into syllables, using three beads to target beginning, middle, and ending sounds during articulation drill, stretching our sentences to achieve a targeted numbers of words in a sentence, and many other multisensory learning language activities.

I am thinking about using colored popsicle sticks to achieve the same goal.  I'll just keep them in Crystal Light plastic containers like I did for my son's sight word sticks.  When defining and describing vocabulary, my students can select a colored stick which will serve as a reminder to include that feature.  This should help to further reinforce the usage of a structured system for defining!  Here is my creation.
This is what I started with.

I used the vocabulary from the EET program since my students were already familiar with this program. 

Here is what I ended with.

I added a label to provide directions about the activity.

And a label to "define" the activity.
You can download the labels for your container for FREE here.  I picked up my popsicle sticks at the dollar store, what a grand deal!

Idea #2:
I'm going to make popsicle stick puzzles with pictures to go with my themes to use as a reinforcement activity.  We don't play games in speech, we do reinforcement activities...and a lot of them!  Sometimes it's a quick iPad reinforcer at the end of the session and other times it's an ongoing interaction after each turn in group therapy.  Using colored popsicle sticks so each puzzle is made from a different color will allow multiple students to select a single color and work toward putting the pieces together after earning a turn.  I bet my OT colleagues will think this is a great fine motor activity too!  I saw this popsicle stick puzzle idea on Pinterest.  I even found directions, now I'll be investing in the tongue depressor size sticks too!

Idea #3:  We always used popsicle sticks within our Sparklle sessions during our auditory bombardment time.  Puppets with a key picture targeting the weekly phonological process were taped to each popsicle stick.  Students would raise their puppet when they heard the target sound within a process during a story.

I am looking forward to more ideas for using all the popsicle sticks I now have hanging around my house, otherwise it's going to be 52 552 pick up after my #3 who appears to love popsicle sticks too!  Thanks for visiting and remember to visit the original link up post to view more ways to use popsicle sticks in therapy!



2 comments

  1. Thanks for linking up! Who knew that Crystal Light containers could end up looking so great! I love your labels for it!

    Kelly
    Speech2u

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top