We're filling a speech bucket {and I found a use for my container}!



So, for those of you who may be reading, you might have seen my pretzel bucket awaiting a makeover {Love It & List It Linky Party:  Organization}.


Eureka, I've thought of an idea!  

Although bucket filling seems to have been around for some time now, I just started learning about this super cool concept.  You can find out more here.  A few classrooms in our school our bucket filling classrooms and these cute little metal buckets hang in shoe organizers.  Here's my Pinterest reinforcment board that shows similar set ups.

I'm a sucker for fabulous organization and just had to learn more about this idea.  This year my son's school decided to become a bucket filling school.  What a way to promote positive behavior and use common language. You would think this bucket filling concept was created by a speech language pathologist.  So, why not a bucket filling speech room?  A place where we can celebrate and congratulate our speech accomplishments.  

I may be getting a head of myself.  If you haven't read the books by Carol McCloud {I read them to my children last night}, then pick yourself up a copy or three.  I borrowed them from a kindergarten teacher {because my impulsivity got the best of me}, but I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing my own.

Here's my eureka!  I started by creating a label for my bucket {pretzel container}.  A little obsession with labels goes a long way.



Then, I decided to come up with a few ways to fill a speech bucket {of course there are many more}!

Finally, I made up some slips to write down our bucket filling accomplishments {those that make us warm and fuzzy inside}!


If you think you might want to start a bucket filling speech room, head on over to my TpT store for this FREEBIE.  I plan to not only fill our speech bucket, but periodically select "filler" slips as winners to receive a small incentive along with taking the slip home to share with parents.

You might also want to check out this post over at PWW365.  You know how sometimes you start with one idea and it changes into another?  This post about carryover really made me realize that I am pretty sure my students don't know why they are working on their goals.  Last year I made a concerted effort to work on "I can" statements so they could recite objectives; however, we never discussed the reason.  If we are a bucket filling speech room, every time we fill out a slip with a speech or language accomplishment, positive behavior, or effective social thinking skill, we will become happy Speechers and Sparkllers with a full bucket, giving us a purpose for therapy!
   
Who doesn't love a bucket filler?


1 comment

  1. I love the idea of a speech bucket! I just posted on fb today about how I have SO MANY empty coconut oil jars and I have no idea how to use them in the speech room -- maybe I'll turn one into a little speech bucket.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top