A little Bah Humbug, with a side of paperwork, RtI style!

It's halfway into second quarter {I know because I just finished interim progress reports}, a short while from Christmas vacation {hurry, but don't as I haven't finished shopping}, and the paperwork piles are starting to mount...chaos around my speech room.  New screenings galore, multifactored evaluations a plenty, IEP reviews, meetings to schedule, and those RtI students to fit in between the scheduled caseload students.  Ugh, I might be losing my mind.


{Insert "Take 5" calming strategy for the SLP}

Okay, now that I am back to a 1 on my 5-point scale, I am ready to organize my log, screening, and follow-up paperwork right here, right now.

Response to Intervention (RtI) brought about a pendulum swing of early intervention, frequent progress monitoring, and intensive researched-based intervention for students showing difficulty.  Before this swing, all students receiving speech therapy services were identified as a student with a speech language impairment and provided goals and objectives through an IEP.  No students were even screened without first going through the Intervention Assistance Team process and a disability was suspected, for the most part.  Currently, and at some points within the year, it is like the flood gates have opened and a rush of children with speech and language weaknesses have found their way into the speech room.  Now, that is not how RtI was designed, I am most positive, but I will say although many more students now are receiving support for deficits as an early intervention, the sheer numbers make it difficult to manage.  Although RtI has been a buzz word for many years, getting a handle on duration of intervention, intensity, and progress monitoring continues to be a struggle.  Although in this post, I intend to offer no suggestions or strategies for the aforementioned challenges, I do offer a few organizational tools found and created to help with the efficiency.

The first, is my quick screening log form that helps me keep track of children referred by teachers or parents.  It is as basic as a spreadsheet gets, but it does the trick and provides a quick reference for collecting all the sticky notes I write on when a teacher asks about a student or a parent writes a quick note, or even better when I transfer the writing from my hand {okay, it does happen and it's less likely to get lost}.



This next gem is an Articulation in Sentence Screener by Robynne Collins that I found while searching a couple years back.  I use it ALL the time, even for baseline for my caseload students.

This form has increased efficiency in a way that makes me literally screech every time I use it.  The Articulation Screening Review Form found on Speaking of Speech provides a quick sounds in error check box area, an intelligibility rating, a developmental norms chart, and a space for a summary of findings, including a refer to RtI check box.

And if you have never checked out the 5-Minute Kids program by Susan Sexton, click the link right away.  For those RtI speech sound kiddos, her forms and materials will be just what the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come ordered!

Now language RtI, not as efficient at this time, but another good checklist found on Speaking of Speech, Classroom Language Checklist, has seen a lot of time at the copier.

Are there any forms or tips you have for keeping on top of the RtI paperwork?



2 comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your resources!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you for taking a look. I'll take any help I can get from other SLPs to make the job more efficient!

      Delete

Back to Top