It's my first product review! Z-Vibe

Thank you, thank you Ark Therapeutic Services, Inc.  For starters, I was beyond flattered when Rebecca contacted me to review one of Ark Therapeutic's products.  She had me at hello:) when she commented that she loved the blog acronym SPARKLLE SPeaking About Remarkable Kids Learning Language Everyday...did I mention that 2spark is quite the creatively wordy one?!  Then, to find out Rebecca's mother was a SLP lover of all things "speechy" with a determination to help young ones with oral sensory motor delays, not to mention a husband who just so happened to be a mechanical engineer.  Need I say more?

So, I was sent the Z-Vibe and in all honesty, I work mainly with high incidence students and my experience with children with severe oral sensory motor delays is limited, so I was skeptical how this device could assist students on my caseload.  Well, a little reading later and a kid in a candy shop when my free product arrived led to...

The Z-Vibe is a vibratory oral motor tool.  As one option, it can be used to provide tactile cues within the oral cavity.  There are over 35 optional tip attachments.  I was able to try out the Probe Tip and the Fine Tip.

{via}
The Probe Tip, as shown in the picture, was perfect for use as a tongue depressor.  This would be perfect for /k, g/ placement, with or without vibration, as I found my client was a bit sensitive to the vibration.  However, again, I did not try this product out with a child with oral sensory motor delays, in which case it may just be what is needed.  What I found to be very useful was the Fine Tip, a very thin, stick like tip.  My client, who also happens to be my son, continues to work on decreasing lateralization of /sh, ch, j/ sounds.  He just so happens to have an extremely knowledgeable SLP who has taught him a great deal about placement {no it's not his mom, I'm lucky to be able to practice home assignments with him}.  My guy has some unique placements for his sounds.  This tip actually enabled him to show me where his tongue lives for certain sounds.  I was then able to literally touch contact points for him to try when attempting production of his target sounds.  It was SO much less intrusive then a tongue depressor.  You know what I am talking about when you attempt to elicit a sound with a tongue depressor, even if it's flavored!  The first move is a odd facial expression, followed closely by a lean away, and if you're lucky only a quick gag.

The MADE IN THE U.S.A., by a speech-language pathologist, with a family run company Z-Vibe product gets a positive endorsement from this SLP and my son!  Oh, and I forgot to mention the handy little spiral bound instructions and ideas booklet that gives you a ton of useful tips and techniques for using the Z-Vibe.

Now for the best part!  ARK Therapeutic has offered to send a Z-Vibe to a lucky reader.  I ask that you comment on this post or on Instagram {1sparklleslp} telling me why you think this would benefit you in your speech room.  Please leave your e-mail.  I will select one lucky winner and ARK Therapeutic will send you your very own Z-Vibe.  Isn't that just grand?!

Check also the newest ASHA Leader to see Ark Therapeutic's photo posted to IG's #ashaigers!






All opinions are mine.  I was given one Z-vibe product for this review.  No other compensation was given. 



11 comments

  1. Absolutely love the z vibe and have actually had clients purchase their own for use in therapy. Used it in grad school as an intern, and now as a professional. I treat birth through geriatric and would love to add this to my tool belt! Would love to show and use with clients so they understand what they are buying!! Love the bite stick attachment and the spoon!!! My email is kellymarieglynn@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a wide range on your caseload. How interesting!

      Delete
  2. That is really interesting. I am like you and have not worked with many oral sensory delay kiddos. I would have to learn more but I am thinking it would be useful with many of my artic students! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agreed about the artic students! A wonderful tool!

      Delete
  3. I have used the z vibe in feeding therapy. It helps to increase the child's knowledge of the inner spaces of his mouth. It's great for tongue lateralization and chewing. There is another with a metal handle which can provide a cool sensation. The clinic I worked at had also purchased the booklet that Ark has to describe how to get the most from the z vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very knowledgable! What a great tool and resource!

      Delete
  4. I would love to win a z vibe for my five month old! He was diagnosed with Down syndrome at birth and I would love to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck to you! Early intervention is key!

      Delete
  5. I'm really excited about this product. I'm an inspiring OT and feel this would greatly benefit children in all areas of speech, oral development, awareness, ect. Communication is so vital. I want to try and help every child succeed. Thank you for holding this contest! My email is ian.kennedy22@yahoo.com- Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the winner is...Kelly Glynn! Congrats!

    This giveaway is officially closed!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top