Taking Speech Outdoors

I'm late to the party (which started here) and it seems to be a trend these days.  I won't let that stop me from sharing.

The Frenzied SLPs are taking speech outdoors this week. I almost thought I wouldn't get the chance to participate as after a very mild winter, we received snow last weekend.  Luckily by Friday, the weather had turned the corner and we headed outside.



I didn't plan anything different, I just packed up my gear and headed out the doors with my students. 


We started on the picnic tables with our cookie tray work stations, but the sun was too hot.  Clearly we haven't seen the sun in a long time.


We ultimately moved over to the outdoor learning center. This lovely structure was built after a huge fundraising drive that lasted several years.  We are extremely lucky to have this gem! 


It was a bit cold and windy as we sat on the floor. We made the best of it, using our ability to think flexibly during social skills groups.



The consensus of taking therapy outside was a hit!  Double thumbs up!

Besides taking your regular therapy materials outside just for a change of scenery, sidewalk chalk and bubbles make for great communication tools to join you on an adventure.  Whether you draw articulation pictures when practicing sounds, draw scenes for sentence formulation or use the chalk for a reinforcement activity it will make traveling outdoors easy with this one item therapy material! Bubbles are great as well for reinforcement and also for describing using concepts of size, location, texture.

Now to give a shout out to The Peachie Speechie. Meredith Avren's Outside Speech hunt for words is a perfect grab and go activity for taking therapy outside!

Happy spring!



1 comment

  1. Great post. I agree, to go outside should be simple and fun. Who needs a ton of stuff?

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top