Leprechaun Trap Challenge: A Communication Engineering Project

March is true to its motto coming in like a lion. My busy life as an SLP and mom of three is actually helping to motivate me to be ultra organized and driven to accomplish my long list of to-dos. This month is filled with overlapping sports for my children, both winter and spring colliding, many IEP meetings, spring conferences, and the school-wide talent show in which I help organize. So, my plans for therapy need to carry me through much of March!


I recently finished my Leprechaun Speech and Language Unit which includes a variety of themed therapy tasks for mixed groups all surrounding a leprechaun theme. I so enjoy creating these thematic packs as the research part is so engaging. I try to create at least one activity for each of my groups K-5 in the themed packets. There are also ample reinforcement activities to pair with any skill and drill activity. I have my March Monthly Themed Therapy pack all ready for those quick drill times, too!



What I am most excited about is a communication engineering project that I know my students will love! I was a bit overwhelmed at the end of last week, so in routine fashion, I organized and purged items in my therapy room. In doing so, I found lots of recycled items that would be perfect for a Leprechaun Trap Challenge! The OT in my building says I would be perfect for Let's Make a Deal, so why not test out this proposition.

Here is what I found:

straws
gold coins
shamrock erasers
toilet paper rolls
string
ribbon
Washi tape
gems
popsicle sticks
paper plates
foil
plastic spoons
plastic cups
napkins
index cards

Along with glue, tape, crayons, makers, and a stapler, I believe we have our materials.  After my students learn all about leprechauns during our therapy sessions, I am going to have them use their very best communication skills to work as a group to create a leprechaun trap. 

At home, to test out my idea, I also gathered a collection of materials and in no time my engineering-minded middle child, crafted up this trap.


My youngest and best product tester, used her attention to detail to complete the drawing.


                                             


Here are some communication targets that I will be prompting for/eliciting during the challenge. 

Carryover of speech sounds in conversation, increasing utterances, past/present/future tense sentences, pronouns, conjunctions, complex sentence structures, following and understanding directions, understanding target vocabulary and concepts, using specific vocabulary and making associations. taking another’s perspective, verbal sequencing, turn taking and conversational skills, executive functioning, listening/attending and topic maintenance, and fluent speaking.


Here is a list of some vocabulary that can be targeted:
leprechaun
sneaky
little/tiny
quick/fast
trap/catch/capture/find
shiny/bright
gold/riches
pot/container
make/create/build/design/craft
glue/tape/connect
engineer/construct
challenge/test
share/communicate
shamrock
hat
buckle
cut/snip
tie/fasten
lead/entice
trial/error
suggestion
judge/rate
grant
wishes
long/short/tall
heavy/light
strong
first/next/then/last
St. Patrick’s Day

Do you think you might be able to incorporate this leprechaun trap challenge into your therapy plans? I have made the worksheet and a couple variations into a freebie you can snag here.


Here's to going out like lamb which will be spring break for me! 



No comments

Back to Top