Speech Room Challenge: Functional Organization

The Frenzied SLPs are up for some challenges this year. Are you ready for a challenge? Our frenzied nature requires a challenge, with parameters and a deadline to stay motivated! Actually, these are good life tips to keep you going!


We are starting off with a speech room challenge. Are you that creative SLP changing her room every season, the minimalist with clean white walls and possibly a sign, or somewhere in between?

We all spend a lot of time in this often tiny space, so giving it some character may help increase your motivation or creativity, without distracting you too much! I'm challenging myself to add some functional organizational decor that I will still like by the end of the year.  This is my biggest challenge. I get so tired of my style, organization and layout.

This Thirty One (no affiliation) file folder holder is perfect for corralling my therapy materials. I can toss books, themed therapy packets, cards, and reinforcement activities in this bin for grab and go between sessions.



I organized this beauty at the end of last year to be the home of my monthly thematic therapy cards. You can find the freebie toolbox labels here.



This cart is love! It honestly makes me smile when I enter my room. This is the Target version (no affiliation) and I love the functional handles and its slim design. I'm using it to hold my therapy essentials, including visuals, school supplies, articulation sticks by Mia, mirrors, and my classroom bin (more on that below).



If this next unit were only in grey, I would be even happier!  The organization inside is nothing to write home about; however, the ability to sort like materials and grab and go worksheets is key. For now, it's working!



I went with a Modern Rustic Speech Room Decor theme this year and the best part is that I didn't even have to change the bulletin board background and border! Learning targets are posted and bins below organize our interactive notebooks. Under the curtain is a rolling library bookshelf that houses my bins of thematic materials by season and theme!



I recently added dividers to my interactive notebooks to organize grade levels.



A while back I posted this container on Instagram. It is so very old and formerly used for scrapbooking materials. When I started regularly pushing into classrooms last year, I finally settled on using this caddy. The good news is, it is still available, in a very similar model. My Occupational Therapy friend showed up with this one (no affiliation) last week.



I received plenty of comments about how SLPs would fill up this caddy for classroom-based services. Mine is ready to go and I made a little video showing the contents. You can check it out on my Facebook Page!

Did you accomplish your speech room challenge this year?



Back to Top