How I Use Story Dice in Speech Therapy


Many SLPs have used the popular Rory's Story Cubes for speech therapy. I’ve also seen Roll a Story dice by Junior Learning and Story Time Dice. I love using my Articulation Rolling Cubes by Speech Corner. I am not affiliated with any of these story dice companies, rather I personally own and have used some in speech therapy. 

I always struggled with how to effectively incorporate the dice in mixed groups while also making sure I targeted individualized goals. Then, I developed Story Telling Dice Companion Mats to incorporate common speech and language targets for quick grab and go therapy.



I copied my companion mats on colored paper and cut each individual half sheet to use in dry erase pockets (no affiliation). I can individually select sheets for students during a session in mixed groups. Since I own a good amount of story dice, I can select packs that work best for each mat. Students have choice when rolling and selecting their dice for each spot during the hands-on interactive activity. This allows time for me to work individually with each student in groups while also knowing target skills are being explicitly practiced. I have found there is very little teaching required for each mat and since students continue to roll multiple times during a session, increased trials provide for great data collection!



I hope you check out this companion and let me know if you have any other ways to work with story dice in speech therapy. I’d love to add even more mats, like these in the free sample, suggested by a dear SLP friend. Download the sample and give the mats a try.







Back to Top