We're on the Downhill Slide!

The Frenzied SLPs are bringing you tips for maintaining control as we zoom toward the end of the school year in this linky installment.


I write this post mainly for myself, and maybe, just maybe one tip will help someone else.  I took a deep breath heading into May and I'm pretty sure I won't exhale until May 26th.  I can feel myself losing control, which brings me to my first tip.

1.  Find ways to keep calm!



Here is a poster on my door made by a district OT.  Often times when students leave my classroom I remind them to get calm.  Communication can be noisy. We talk. A lot. Since my room is attached to the library, we must calm before we exit.  Lately, I've found myself glancing over and carrying out the sequence.

Head Push for 5
Hands Push for 5
Hug/squeeze for 5
Breathe for 5

2.  Have a plan, set reminders, check your list. ALL. THE. TIME.

Google Calendar paired with my Apple Watch have saved my rear many times. I'm a paper girl at heart.  This year, both my principals and my school psychologist went to Google Calendar.  I was slow at first, but now I'm all about the digital calendars (with a paper back-up).

3. Get up and move!

I hit the elliptical a few times a week and run after school with staff and our 4th and 5th graders twice a week. Exercise definitely helps me clear my head and gives me the strength to tackle another item on the list.

4. Positive Thinking

It is so easy to get bogged down by the overload at this time of year. I need to remind myself to think positively about my chosen career and accomplishments.

5. Surround Yourself with Understanding People

When control is being taken from you, as you flounder to maintain, having supportive colleagues, friends, and family members can help you gain back the control needed. And at least, they will forgive your temporary personality change!

What are some of your tips? Check out many more from the link ups below!






Back to Top