Basketball-Themed Speech Therapy

As I sit here listening to the college basketball games in the background, I am getting even more excited for my therapy plans this coming week.


I'm using a new to me book, Salt in His Shoes:  Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream by Delores Jordan. (no affiliation). I created a minimal prep book companion to go along with the text. It includes a variety of speech and language activities for mixed therapy groups, suggested K-3. I've pinned a read aloud too. 



For reinforcement and movement, I happen to have a mini basketball hoop on my door (similar to this one).


Suggested ways I use the hoop in my speech room:

Allow a set number of minutes following skill and drill practice-I set a timer for 2 minutes, work with one student for articulation drill and allow others to take turns shooting hoops. Then switch students.

For younger students, I stand at the front of the line and do 5 quick drills and then allow a shot, move to the end of the line, repeat process!

For students working on language tasks, I usually do the lesson and then allow 3-5 minutes of a continuous line of shooting for students in the group.

Here is a free app that will allow for 45 seconds of basketball fun should you not have a speech room or to accommodate some push-in or quick hallway drills! My boys love this app!

{via}
My SLP friend from All Y'All Need has these basketball language activities for younger and upper elementary students. My copies are already printed and ready for use!



It's also a short and extremely busy week for me. The light at the end of the tunnel is spring break! Happy hooping it up in speech therapy to you!


Back to Top