Hoop It Up in Speech Therapy

As I sit here listening to the college basketball games in the background, I am getting even more excited for my therapy plans this coming week.


I'm using a new to me book, Salt in His Shoes:  Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream by Delores Jordan. (no affiliation). I created a minimal prep book companion to go along with the text. It includes a variety of speech and language activities for mixed therapy groups, suggested K-3. I've pinned a read aloud too. 



For reinforcement and movement, I happen to have a mini basketball hoop on my door (similar to this one).


Suggested ways I use the hoop in my speech room:

Allow a set number of minutes following skill and drill practice-I set a timer for 2 minutes, work with one student for articulation drill and allow others to take turns shooting hoops. Then switch students.

For younger students, I stand at the front of the line and do 5 quick drills and then allow a shot, move to the end of the line, repeat process!

For students working on language tasks, I usually do the lesson and then allow 3-5 minutes of a continuous line of shooting for students in the group.

Here is a free app that will allow for 45 seconds of basketball fun should you not have a speech room or to accommodate some push-in or quick hallway drills! My boys love this app!

{via}
My SLP friend from All Y'All Need has these basketball language activities for younger and upper elementary students. My copies are already printed and ready for use!



It's also a short and extremely busy week for me. The light at the end of the tunnel is spring break! Happy hooping it up in speech therapy to you!


No comments

Back to Top