Therapy Ideas as Fresh as Springtime by: The Frenzied SLPs


The Frenzied SLPs are offering some fresh speech therapy ideas for spring! I'm lucky enough to be on spring break and headed for warmer weather with my family! I had spring fever early on in Ohio with our warm February, so I was already thinking about spring therapy planning!


I love using themes and literature in therapy. This year I have also found myself gravitating toward interactive notebooks and craftivities to accompany my therapy targets and themes. Spring is no exception and my list of themes keeps growing.  To round out this school year, I'll be finishing up my basketball theme, dabbling in some Easter-related activities, bringing out the camping theme, and ending with baseball! Around Easter, I have spring-themed plans using the book Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney, an inspirational story about the Lupine Lady who spread lupine seeds and beauty everywhere she went. I was also Pinspired by this craft from I Heart Crafty Things (more on that below).

To accompany Miss Rumphius, I have created interactive notebook companion activities. The vocabulary in this text is rich and the story is captivating for younger and older elementary students. Among other targets using this book, I will focus on inferencing, summarizing, articulation in reading and conversation, irregular verbs, and defining.


I'm no artist and so my first attempt at the craftivity sample turned out to be a "pretty W" as my own kindergartener helped to shape my decision with her honest comment.


Instead, I opted for creating a coloring or stamping worksheet. You can thank her for the freebie!
Speech, language, and open-ended craftivity included.
I've also explored the sensory bin speech craze as well, only after cleaning up way too many spills, I have opted for more of a garland-type fill. My local dollar store seems to have garland for every holiday!


Garland works well as I use the bin mainly for hiding target skill cards or our reinforcement activity game cards. I neglected to take a picture of my prepped Eastery spring bin before I left for spring break; however, I picked up some decorative mesh and small glittery foam eggs.


I'll also plan to add some flower petals, toy garden shovels and gloves. Picking cards while wearing garden gloves surely is a lot more engaging!

   

What are your fresh ideas for speech therapy this spring?



Back to Top